Facts you should know:
1. Eligibililty: Only federated clubs, members of those clubs, and groups of federated clubs in good standing are eligible to apply or sponsor applicants.
2. Awards Year: Generally based upon work completed or planned for completion during the current garden club year.
3. Send entries to: A.F.G.C. Awards Chairman unless otherwise stated.
4. Deadline: All deadline dates are printed in the "Awards" section of the Club President's Directory. Consult diretory for the current club year to confirm deadline dates.
5. Entries: Can be continuing projects, but must include some work in the current awards year.
6. Application forms: a) Most awards require an application form. Applications forms can be found in the President's Packet or on the websites of AFGC, SCR, and NGC. Applications forms are available for numbered awards, Flower Show Achievement Awards, and NGC Awards of Excellence. b) There is a 3 page limit, using only the front of the page. Exceptions noted. c) Binders, vinyl sheets protectors are no longer required or allowed. Exceptions noted. d) Applications may be submitted electronically to AFGC Awards Chairman. Exceptions noted. e) Applications may be submitted by mail. Include the original and one copy. f) Keep a copy of your application for your files.
7. Procedure for Applying and Deadlines:
a) Complete the application form. Submit the original form (3 pages only) to AFGC Awards Chairman by deadline printed in President's packet. If submitting by mail, send original and one copy.
b) When the same projet is eligible for various awards, submitting exact duplicaiton of the application is not acceptable.
c) YEARBOOKS: Complete the necessary information at top of the AFGC Award Application Form. Do not answer the questions. Firmly clip 2 copies of the completed application form to the inside front cover (send only 1 yearbook). Mail to AFGC Awards Chairman by deadline printed in President's packet. See www.gardenclub.org for updated version of Yearbook Guidelines, 2015-2017.
d) PUBLICITY PRESS BOOKS: Complete the necessary information at the top of the application form. Do not answer the questions. Prepare a Book of Evidence. Plastic sleeves for protection may be used. No limit on number of pages. Submit to AFGC Publicity Press Book Chairman by deadline printed in President's Packet.
e) HISTORY BOOK: Complete the necessary information at top of the application form. Do not answer the questions. Prepare your scrapbook. Plastic sleeves for protection may be used. No limit on number of pages. See guidelines in Presdient's Packet. Send to AFGC Awards Chairman by deadline printed in President's Packet.
f) FLOWER SHOW ACHIEVEMENT AWARDS: Prepare a Book of Evidence according to guidelines on AFGC website. Send to AFGC Awards Chairman by deadline printed in President's Packet.
REMINDER: NGC Awards Chairman must have applications in their possession by Jan. 15. (Exception to this date is Press Book).
NGC Award Guidelines are listed on the NGC website, www.gardenclub.org
Please study the changes on the NGC website very carefully especially when preparing a book of evidence for Press Books and for preparing yearbooks.
AFGC Numbered Awards:
#1, CIVIC ACHIEVEMENT ($25) to individual club that has completed an outstanding Civic Project. May cover 1 or 2 yrs. Application form required. (SCR#2). Scale of Points: Reason for project (25); History [how financed] (15); Degree of improvement (15); maintenance (10); Use of plant material (20); Use of native plants (5); Presentation of entry (10).
BARBARA YOUNG TRAVELING TROPHY AWARD, $100, to the OVERALL entry which exemplifies project designate by Pres. Rose Knight. Watch for details.
#2, AWARD OF MERIT, to a club/group of clubs for sponsoring a Flower Show School or Landscape Design School. Application form needed.
#3, CIVIC BEAUTIFICATION, ($25)for best effort on completed beautification project to provide continuing maintenance. Application form required.
#4, BUILD-UP/REACH OUT ($25) to club sponsoring new garden club. Application form required.
#5, THERAPY AWARD, ($25) for best work with handicapped in a residential institution. Application form required. (SCR #8)
#6, WILDFLOWER AWARD, ($10) to an individual for collection of 15 pressed specimens. ($15) to a club for collection of many specimens (1 ex. of each). Collection for both presented in theme folder, specimens mounted on 8 1/2 X 11 inch botany paper covered with transparent contact paper; label each entry with family, botanical and common name of collection and name of collector. Artistic eye appeal (30); Neatness (30); Requirements met (40)
#7, MEMBERSHIP AWARD ($100 divided) for club/s with greatest percentage of new members. Send list of members from previous yr. who no longer belong. Send list of new members. (SCR # 12)
#8, NATIONAL GARDEN WEEK ($50) for best celebration of the week. Send to AFGC Nat'l. Garden Week Chairman. Application form required. (SCR #5).
THE LIST DOES NOT STOP HERE!
GO TO - AFGC Award Guidelines, Continued.